Welcome to October! The air is getting colder, the leaves are turning, and fall decorations are starting to dot houses all across the state. October is a very important time to landscape. From aeration to seeding, this month is a very good time to make sure your yard will look amazing next spring. Here is an easy to follow October landscaping checklist you can use.
October Landscaping Checklist
- Plant bulbs for spring so they can acclimate before the soil gets too cold. Be sure to water them thoroughly so they have a good start.
- Rake or shred fallen leaves. These can smother the grass and lead to bald and yellow patches.
- Continue to water plants, trees, and shrubs if it does not rain more than an inch in 10 days.
- Continue mowing as needed to gradually reduce the height to 1 1/2″ to 2″.
- Continue weeding to prevent annuals from seeding. Leave some plant seed heads for winter bird foraging such as echinacea.
- Overseed any bare or thin spots in the lawn. This will set the stage for a thicker lawn for next year. Some seed will germinate next spring.
- Cover your water gardens and ponds with netting to prevent falling leaves and debris from falling in.
- Fertilization is very important. Plants will respond to external stimuli to start the process of preparing for winter.
- Bring your cold weather sensitive plants inside. Give them a good lukewarm solid rinse to wash off any bugs or debris.
Thank you for choosing Naturescape, LLC. We provide customers with a professional and nurturing experience from the beginning to the end of each landscaping project. From design to installation to protecting your landscape investment with quality management programs your experience will be exciting and gratifying.
P.O. Box 56 Andover, CT 06232